Title: Deadmen Walking
Author: Sherrilyn Kenyon
Publication Date: May 9, 2017
Genre: Fantasy, Pirates, Paranormal Romance
Format: Copy provided by the publisher
To catch evil, it takes evil. Enter Devyl Bane―an ancient dark warlord returned to the human realm as one of the most notorious pirates in the New World. A man of many secrets, Bane makes a pact with Thorn―an immortal charged with securing the worst creations the ancient gods ever released into our world. Those powers have been imprisoned for eons behind enchanted gates . . . gates that are beginning to buckle. At Thorn’s behest, Bane takes command of a crew of Deadmen and, together, they are humanity’s last hope to restore the gates and return the damned to their hell realms.
But things are never so simple. And one of Bane’s biggest problems is the ship they sail upon. For the Sea Witch isn’t just a vessel, she’s also a woman born of an ancient people he wronged and who in turn wronged him during a centuries long war between their two races―a woman who is also sister to their primary target. Now Marcelina, the Sea Witch, must choose. Either she remains loyal to her evil sister and almost extinct race against Bane and his cause, and watches humanity fall, or she puts faith in an enemy who has already betrayed her. Her people over the totality of humanity―let’s hope Bane can sway her favor.
“Deadmen tell their tales . . .”
Pirate books are my weakness. Seriously, it gets to the point where I’m willing to share my cookies to read them, which said a lot. So just imagine how excited I was when I got this book in the mail (by that I mean imagine Killian Jones or Jack Sparrow wink at you). I had quite an expectation for this book, and unfortunately, I got let down a little bit. Just a little bitsy, though, I assure, because I ended up still enjoy the world-building immensely, as well as the characters and all the pirate-deliciousness.
(I know!! I’m so excited too)
• The action scenes are crazingly AWESOME. I love Devyl and his crew’s adventure a whole lot. There are tons of on-the-edge pirate/powerful magical fightings going on and I ADORE IT.
• The cover is gorgeous! I am a shameless cover hoarder. Oh, and did I mention the book came with a mind-blowing-hey-I-will-spend-the-next-two-years-staring-at-this map and a limited signed poster that you will get as a preorder incentive too?!
• The world-building is amazing. I love how the author incorporates different gods from Norse and Celtic mythology, which is absolutely fabulous. It also pleased me so much how authentic the writings and dialogues are. The conservations between the characters belong to the world of Deadmen Walking, and I love the feeling that I somehow living in that world while reading it.
(hah did ya see what I did there?)
• The first 25% of the book was quite confusing. This book was supposed to be a separate branch from the other previous series the author has written. However, there are still characters and plot that were mentioned in this book that I have absolutely no background knowledge of. I did catch up pretty quick, but there was still a gap of information in the book.
• The author includes too many addition references with little explainations is also another pet peeve of mine. Without my prior knowledge of Norse Mythology, I would probably have no idea whatsoever which god the author mentioned in the book.
Overall, I really enjoy the book. There are ups and downs, definitely, but I had a great time reading it nonetheless. The ending is done amazingly. I feel absolutely satisfied with it, but I also can’t wait to see more of Devyl and his crew. If you love pirate books with some awesome action and magic, this book is definitely for you!
You will love Deadmen Walking if you enjoy…