Author: S. Jae-Jones
Publication Date: February 7th, 2017
Genre: Fantasy, Retellings, Romance
Beware the goblin men and the wares they sell.
All her life, nineteen-year-old Liesl has heard tales of the beautiful, mysterious Goblin King. He is the Lord of Mischief, the Ruler Underground, and the muse around which her music is composed. Yet, as Liesl helps shoulder the burden of running her family’s inn, her dreams of composition and childish fancies about the Goblin King must be set aside in favor of more practical concerns.
But when her sister Käthe is taken by the goblins, Liesl journeys to their realm to rescue her sister and return her to the world above. The Goblin King agrees to let Käthe go—for a price. The life of a maiden must be given to the land, in accordance with the old laws. A life for a life, he says. Without sacrifice, nothing good can grow. Without death, there can be no rebirth. In exchange for her sister’s freedom, Liesl offers her hand in marriage to the Goblin King. He accepts.
Down in the Underground, Liesl discovers that the Goblin King still inspires her—musically, physically, emotionally. Yet even as her talent blossoms, Liesl’s life is slowly fading away, the price she paid for becoming the Goblin King’s bride. As the two of them grow closer, they must learn just what it is they are each willing to sacrifice: her life, her music, or the end of the world.
“Life,” he said softly, “is more than ﬂesh. Your body is a candle, your soul the ﬂame. The longer I burn the candle…” He did not ﬁnish.
“A candle unused is nothing but wax and wick,” I said.“I would rather light the ﬂame, knowing it will go out than sit forever in darkness.”
Goodness gracious, MY HEART.
Seriously though, this magnificently, fabulously, exquisitely written book is a gem. It’s not hard to come to the conclusion that Wintersong might be my favorite read in 2016. Yes peeps, it is THAT good. And the writing? If it doesn’t sweep you off your feet and soak the words themselves into your heart, I would… Wait, I don’t think there is a possible alternate to this, because the writing is GOLD. Ahem… (I just could not stop fangirling).
The List Why Wintersong Should Just Build a Book Throne & Rule From It:
• The whole setting was pure magical. Trust me to say this will not disappoint you. And I’m darn sure there are magic involved in the making of this book too, because how can this possibly be so PERFECT?! The image represented in this book is absolutely vivid and beyond gorgeousness, and did I even mention the music? Just simply beyond amazingness.
• It’s physically and emotionally impossible for me to love the writing more than this. Jae-Jones’s ability to weave the story with such detail and vibrant prose make Wintersong stands out completely among other fantasy. The writing is lush, sensual, beautiful, magnificent…basically a treasure among treasures. I ached when the characters ache, laughed when they laugh, and felt so deep into the book I finished it in one sitting and forgot where I was for a moment (#mebeingme).
• And let’s not forget the characters are crazingly amazing. They are incredibly dimensional and each grew so much throughout the course of the book. Also, THE GOBLIN KING. Probably the most complex character ever. And I lurvvv that. His alluring feature and dangerous, terrifying aura just intrigued me deeply. The contrasts blur the line between good and bad, and seriously, gray areas in books are bae.
• The most amazing thing about this book is Liesl’s love for her music. The emotions, thoughts, the beautiful melodies… They are incredibly admirable. And not only she loves it, she plays it, and she is GOOD. I mean, seriously, this girl is BEYOND AMAZING. She composes music for goodness sake! I don’t know about you, but a book about a character with that much love for music is a MUST for me.
“What would you do, if you were a free man?”
“I would take my violin and play. I would walk the world and play, until someone called me by name and called me home.”
• I’m literally sobbing right now because OMG CAN THE AUTHOR WRITE ANOTHER 817358 BOOKS FOR THIS?! I suggest a series, or maybe 3. Or make it 10 and S. Jae-Jones, you have yourself a free cookie deliverer (pinkie promise).
To mildly put it without me getting all hyped up & roll down the stairs type of deal, Wintersong is too PRECIOUS for this world! I feel like trying to explain the plot ruins the magic of how everything unfolds, so I’ll just say that it’s totally worth the read. It’s a dark, alluring, sensual tale of love and magic, and I love everyone single minute reading this.
Go. Read it. Consume it like your favorite mint chocolate cookie. *return to my corner of bookish feels & dutifully wait for the companion novel to come out*
You will love Wintersong if you enjoy…